Describe your diet/meal plan leading up to a big race:
I try to eat the same food year-round, (except during my off season) and I try to eat everything that my body asks for as I think the body is amazingly smart. But I try to eat healthy and nutritious food - not just because of myself but also because I want to be a good role model for my baby girl. Whatever Ruby sees on my plate she wants to eat too.
My usual day looks like this:
- Coffee and a small snack (banana with peanut butter) before my early morning run
- Oat porridge with nuts for breakfast after my run
- Lunch: usually a ham, cheese, tomato sandwich (or egg and avocado)
- Another coffee and a snack (yogurt, Sponser bar…) before my second training session
- Dinner: Usually chicken, veggies and rice, pasta or potatoes. Once or twice a week we eat some red meat.
- Desert/pre-bedtime: Greek yogurt with nuts or quark or pudding…
The only thing I change in my eating before a race is that I won’t eat my usual oat porridge for breakfast since Wednesday or Thursday and will have some bread with butter and jam, honey or so.
My morning breakfast is always the same:
Coffee and white bread rolls with Nutella.